Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Start of a Season

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the Lent Season for many Christians worldwide. I was raised in a United Methodist family, yet I never participated in the tradition of "giving something up" for Lent. As a non-Christian who follows Buddhist spirituality and practice, I have realized the decreased level of importance that I personally place on this liturgical season. That said, I recognize the importance of this season for Christians around the world and in my backyard. My Christian friends and colleagues at Vanderbilt Divinity School especially have reminded me about the importance of making sacrifices and taking time to prepare oneself mentally, spiritually, and even physically for the events of life. Cultivating mindfulness has also been a key theme of my own Buddhist practice.


While I won't be making sacrifices or preparations for the death and resurrection of Jesus, Lent for me this year will be a season of heightened awareness, a season that pushes the boundaries of my comfort zones. For the next 40+ days of Lent, I will be a hijabi.


Well, I'm not that uncomfortable with wearing the hijab. In fact, I really do enjoy wearing it for reasons that I have yet to form into words. Right now, this enjoyment is just a feeling. No, not just a feeling, it is a feeling. No need to minimize something because I don't have language for it yet. Feelings have their own power and value and sincerity--yes, we can learn so much about ourselves when we listen to how something feels in our bodies. Anyway, perhaps over the course of these next 40 days, I will be able to articulate this felt love that I have for the hijab.


But maybe this love affair will turn sour. Believe me, I am no pessimist, but I have to leave room for this possibility. I have never worn the hijab for such an extended period of time. I have never worn it in very public places. I have never worn it to the airport. Oh, so much is unknown, and there is so much to look forward to! See, I am an optimist.


And a realist. I know that the hijab is a symbol of Islam, and the last thing that I want to do is offend my Muslim brothers and sisters in any way. So, I discussed this hijabi idea with my friend Tayyibah Taylor, editor-in-chief of Azizah magazine, a vehicle for empowering Muslim women. She was very supportive of this idea, and called it an "experiment." I raised my eyebrows at this word, but perhaps it is fitting. Again, we'll see.

But what are the rules of this new experience? More on that tomorrow. Until then, peaceful steps,

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. My Dear Miss Sarah,

    Three thoughts:

    1. Given the pejorative prevailing cultural sentiments in this country toward any and all things Islamic, it is very brave of you to don the hijab in public, of your own volition.

    2. If, by some chance you are unaware of this, I think you will find it interesting to know that, given your friend's suggestion that wearing the hijab will constitute an "experiment" for you, Gandhi entitled his autobiography, "My Experiments in Truth."

    3. I.Luv.U.net

    Dave

    P.S I used anonymous because I didn't have a clue how to choose one of the other options for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jpshannon.blogspot.comMarch 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM

    Hello SEG. Picked up your blog off the Facebook. Read a couple of your posts and became interested in your "Experiment".
    I was interested not only because of the experiment, but also the simple fact that you are on blogspot. I don't know many people who are.

    I have one too. Not as enlightened topically as yours.
    jpshannon.blogspot.com

    Good Luck with your experiment. Hope you achieve all you that you set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am sure you probably you don't remember me, I dug at Megiddo this summer and I happen to be friends with Tina on facebook and she posted about your blog and I happened to click on. I just wanted to tell you that I think what you are doing is beautiful. I really hope that you receive the answers that you are looking for. The quote that you posted about Lent and this experience that you are undergoing really helped me out today. I felt terrible because I messed up on my Lenten promise and then I started to say to myself it doesn't matter it is just some silly tradition. After reading your blog it has renewed in me what Lent is about, though I know that is not the point of your blog. I just really wanted to say thank you for that though. Sometimes it takes seeing things through an entirely different set of eyes to point out the things that are right in front of you.
    Best wishes,
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete